Today was a great day: nothing but football, greasy food, and pure, unadulterated relaxation. The beauty of Sunday is undeniable and always worry-free.
Prose rarely floors me, but M. John Harrison's did just that when I stumbled across Viriconium at a Barnes and Nobles about a year ago. It took me awhile to get down to that rather hefty collection of novellas and short stories about the far-future, decaying city of Viriconium, but the payoff is yet unchallenged in greatness by any other book I have read. His prose is crystalline, deceptive, always controlled and surgical, and humbly epic. I always recomend the Viriconium stories, and am looking forward to reading other works by Harrison soon.
On that subject, yesterday I discovered that Harrison has a blog called Uncle Zip's Window (search for it on Google), and it's full of quirky posts about anything he seems to be thinking of at the time. Also highly recomended.
Reading: The Twin Serpents by Ronald Scott Thorne.
Looking forward to: Monday Night Football-Eagles v. Redskins
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment