Sunday, September 16, 2007

Saturday at Hempfest 2007

Today I obliquely found myself at The Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition (MassCan) freedom rally in Boston Commons. The scent of weed was dense in the air, a single cloud rose from the rally. Bands, such as the incomparable Robby Roadsteamer, rocked a large Grecian columned gazebo in the center of the park. The crowd was diverse but unified and the clothes were colorful and patterned. We all brought out our most pot suggestive garments for this special day.

Unfortunately, I was under the impression that I was to attend a reggae music concert where people happened to be smoking. When I found out that the entire function was in fact solely devoted to cannabis, my expectations widened exponentially. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to had ripped two ‘biggy-boi’ bongs hits prior to the engagement and was appropriately baked for the occasion.

50-something men gave lectures like college professors on cannabis legalization. It seems little progress, if any, is being made on the weed front. But don’t count on that to dull their blazing spirits. They fight like they have a real shot, and who knows, maybe they do.

At that magical hour, 4:20 PM, the mass formed into a thick ball and lit up in every way they knew how. Boys and girls swayed in the warm fog, looking for the ground, wandering through the human maze. And before we knew what hit us, we were stuck, like duct tape to the world. Everyone smiled, and fell back.

No comments: